ABUJA, Nigeria — Campaigns for Nigeria’s 2027 presidential and National Assembly elections officially opened on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, marking the start of a 150-day window leading to the polls scheduled for Saturday, January 16, 2027.
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) lifted the ban on public campaigns in line with its revised timetable and Section 98(1) of the Electoral Act 2026.

The law stipulates that public campaigning by political parties shall commence 150 days before polling day and end 24 hours prior to the election. Campaigns for the presidential and National Assembly races will therefore close on Friday, January 15, 2027.
Political parties and candidates are now permitted to hold rallies, run media advertisements, engage voters and conduct grassroots mobilisation across the country. Both the presidential contest and elections for the Senate and House of Representatives will run concurrently during this period.
Governorship and State Houses of Assembly campaigns are scheduled to begin later, on Wednesday, September 9, 2026, ahead of those elections on Saturday, February 6, 2027. Those campaigns will end 24 hours before polling day.
INEC Chairman Professor Joash Ojo Amupitan has previously emphasised that the timetable aligns with the Electoral Act 2026 and replaces earlier schedules. The commission has warned parties against premature campaigning, though enforcement of early-start prohibitions has historically faced challenges due to limited sanctions in the law.
Major parties entered the formal campaign period with varying degrees of readiness. The ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) indicated it would soon unveil a detailed nationwide campaign programme after consultations with stakeholders. APC National Publicity Secretary Felix Morka noted that August 19 opens the legal window but does not require parties to launch rallies immediately. “There is no law that says we must start on Wednesday,” he said.
Other major contenders, including those associated with President Bola Tinubu, former Vice President Atiku Abubakar and Peter Obi, are expected to intensify activities in the coming days and weeks. Reports indicated that some parties had not fully constituted campaign councils by the opening of the window, citing internal consultations and other factors.
A peace accord was signed by leading presidential contenders shortly before the campaign window opened, framing the contest as competitive rather than confrontational. Key issues expected to dominate the campaign include the cost of living, economic reforms and national security.
The 150-day period is among the longer formal campaign windows in recent Nigerian electoral cycles, giving parties an extended opportunity to reach voters but also raising concerns about resource demands and potential voter fatigue. INEC has repeatedly called on all stakeholders—parties, candidates, security agencies, the media, civil society and citizens—to ensure peaceful, credible and issue-based campaigns.
Political parties have until Saturday, August 22, to substitute candidates who withdraw, and until August 29 to submit nomination forms. INEC is expected to publish the final list of nominated candidates on September 12.
As the formal electioneering period begins, attention turns to how parties will structure their outreach, the tone of public discourse, and the ability of institutions to maintain order and fairness in the months ahead of the January 2027 vote.